History of Harrison Council #2633


Harrison Council of the Knights of Columbus was founded on February 6th, 1927. Our first Grand Knight was Harry Rolfes and first chaplain was Father Harry Eilermann, pastor of St. Johns Parish. The Knights met in a room located over the current village pharmacy in downtown Harrison until 1952. Then the group began to met in the old St. John's Church (where the school is located today) on Harrison Avenue. In 1969, the current 6.5 acre site was purchased and construction began. In 1971, meetings were being held in the "small" hall while Joe Spiller was Grand Knight until the current hall was opened on Dec. 31, 1975 for a New Years Party. Our Council currently boasts a membership of 240 and is always looking for new brothers to join our order.

 

History of the Order

The Knights of Columbus is the world's largest Catholic fraternal service organization. Founded in the United States in 1882, it is named in honor of Christopher Columbus and dedicated to the principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism. There are more than 1.7 million members in 14,000 councils. Father McGivney

 

The Vision of Father Michael J. McGivney
Led by the quiet, unassuming curate of St. Mary's Parish in New haven, Connecticut, a small group of men established the Knights of Columbus in the church basement early in the spring of 1882. The priest, Father Michael J. McGivney, saw clearly that both Catholics and the Church faced serious problems in the last half of the nineteenth century such as anti-Catholicism and ethnic prejudice; under-employment; lack of social standing and early loss of the breadwinner.

To resolve those problems Father McGivney conceived the idea of an organization of Catholic men who would band together:

  • To aid one another in times of sickness or death, by means of a simple insurance plan, so that their wives and children would not face abject poverty.

  • To strengthen themselves and each other in Faith.

  • To strengthen families and family life.

  • To be a strong pillar of support for their priests and bishops.

  • To be of service to Church and community by coming to the aid of those most in need of society.

They called themselves Knights of Columbus - Knights to emphasize chivalry's ideals of charity and support for Church and state, and Columbus as a reminder that Catholics had been the backbone and bulwark of America's growth and greatness from the very beginning.

The State of Connecticut officially chartered the Order on March 29th 1882. It's founder, Father McGivney, and those first Knights dreamed of the day when there would be a council in every parish in Connecticut. Little could they know that their small group would grow into a global organization of more than 1.6 million members in nearly 12,000 local councils in 13 countries: the United States, Canada, the Philippines, Mexico, Panama, Guatemala, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Cuba, Virgin Islands, Guam and Spain.

In the years since 1882 the Knights of Columbus has become one of the largest and strongest life insurance companies in North America with more than $43 billion of insurance in force. More than $4 billion in new insurance is sold annually and last year the Order paid $124 million in death benefits to the families of deceased members and $275 million in dividends to insurance members.

   
   

 

Harrison Knights of Columbus
10490 North State Street Harrison, Ohio 45030

Content copyright 2011-2012. Harrison Knights of Columbus. All rights reserved.